Using the B1/B2 Visitor’s Visa Category
- Valid passport
- Letter from Georgia State University (PDF) Example
- Visitors traveling under the Visa Waiver Program must register for travel authorization on the Department of Homeland Security’s Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) Website. Registration must be submitted at least 72 hours prior to travel.
Their passport and their I-94 card will be stamped indicating their immigration status and length of stay allowed in the U.S. When entering the U.S. under the Visa Waiver program the international will be given a green I-94 card and an extension of their stay after entering the U.S. will not be permitted.
B-1 Business Category
Visitors from countries not included in the visa waiver program will need to visit a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in order to obtain a B-1/B-2 before boarding a plane to enter the U.S. The visitor should check the U.S. Embassy or Consulate’s web site to see what specific documents they will need to take to their visa appointment. They can find this information at the U.S. Department of State web site here: http://www.usembassy.gov/
After obtaining the visa and upon entry to the U.S. they will be required to present:
1) Valid passport
2) Valid B-1/B-2 visa stamp in passport
Their passport and I-94 card will be stamped indicating their immigration status and length of stay allowed in the U.S. When entering the U.S. under the B-1/B-2 visa the international will be given a white I-94 card and an extension of their stay beyond their original intent will be allowed.
Academic honorarium payments and reimbursement for incidental expense are allowed. Please keep in mind that when a visitor arrives in the B-1 category that Honorarium payments are allowed only as long as the academic activity at Georgia State University for which an honorarium is paid is no longer than 9 days, and the visitor has not accepted honoraria from more than five institutions or organizations within a 6 month period.
Unfortunately, Georgia State does not have housing available on our campus for visitors, but some nearby hotels offer discounted rates and shuttle service.
Some hotels are willing to “direct bill” your department for hotel expenses:
- Marriott Residence Inn, 134 Peachtree Street NW, Atlanta, GA 30303 404-522-0950
- Ritz-Carlton Atlanta, 181 Peachtree Street NE, Atlanta, GA 30303, 404-659-0400
- Hampton Inn and Suites, 161 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, GA 30303, 404-589-1111
- Omni Hotel at CNN Center, 100 CNN Center, Atlanta, GA 30303, 404-659-0000