Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
What is CPT?
Regulatory Reference: 8 CRF 214.2 (f)(10)
Curricular Practical Training (“CPT”) is temporary, off-campus employment authorization for F1 visa students. Curricular means the work must be required or related to a course in the student’s major program of study.
- Full time enrolled at least one academic year (Fall + Spring) prior to CPT authorization. This requirement can also by met through full-time enrollment for at least 1 academic year (Fall + Spring) at another SEVIS approved institution.
- Active F-1 status
- Good standing with the school
- Completion of a CPT workshop in ISSS no later than the 2nd week of the current semester
- IEP students are not eligible
- End Date: All CPT authorizations end the last day of finals. An internship offer beyond that date requires additional CPT authorization and CPT course enrollment for the next semester.
- CPT employer during the term cannot be changed after approval and processing by ISSS.
- CPT work cannot begin without SEVIS notation for CPT on your I-20.
- CPT is employer-specific, which means an offer of employment is required to apply.
- CPT is not available after completion of your program of study (graduation).
|Upcoming Application Windows:|
|Spring 2017 CPT Application Opens:||Monday, October 24th, 2016|
|Spring 2017 CPT Application Closes:||Friday, January 20th, 2017|
|Summer 2017 CPT Application Opens:||Monday, February 27th, 2017|
|Summer 2017 CPT Application Closes:||Friday, June 9th, 2017|
|Fall 2017 Application Opens:||Monday, March 27th, 2017|
|Fall 2017 Application Closes:||Friday, September 1st, 2017|
- Plan well ahead to ensure that all parts of your CPT application are completed, processed and approved well before the semester begins.
- Applications which are incomplete by the deadlines above will be denied.
- No new applications will be accepted after the deadline.
- You may apply and begin CPT before the semester, but you may not continue beyond the last day of the semester.
- For more details, please click CPT Policy.
How to Apply
- Complete the in-person or online CPT Workshop (see below)
- Obtain written job offer letter from employer*
- Register for CPT course (if applicable)
- Submit the CPT request e-form in iStart
Job Offer Letter Specifics
* The job offer letter must contain the following, or your CPT application will be delayed or denied.
- Student’s Full Name
- Job Title
- Company Name
- Address where the work will take place
- Start & end dates of employment within the CPT approved dates
- Hours per week (must indicate 20 or less for part-time, or 21 or more for full-time)
- Brief description of the work to be performed
- For an example letter, see slide #14 of the online CPT workshop below.
When to Apply
You can apply as soon as:
- You have attended an employment workshop.
- You have obtained a supporting offer of employment/internship letter.
- You have registered for a CPT eligible course at GSU.
- You have completed the CPT application in iStart.
- The application window above is open. Incomplete applications will be rejected after the deadline.
Duration of CPT
CPT may be authorized before the first day of classes of the semester, but all CPT authorizations end on the last day of finals. An internship offer that extends beyond this date requires an additional CPT authorization and corresponding internship course for the next semester.
- Example: For a Fall CPT authorization you can work starting with the pre-Fall break and continue until the last day of Fall semester finals.
If you work during authorized break periods, your employment letter must specify how many hours you work during the break period, not to exceed 40 hours per week. You may only work up to 20 hours per week during the semester.
- Best viewed in Firefox or Chrome in full-screen
- After viewing the presentation, access this webpage to confirm completion and understanding.