F-1 Employment & Resources
F-1 International students
You are eligible for on-campus employment without special authorization. You may also apply for two types of authorization called “practical training” to work off campus. Completion of a workshop is required as part of the practical training application process (schedule below).
- Never accept or work off-campus employment without authorization through ISSS in advance.
- TPS (Temporary Protected Status) work authorization could be a violation of nonimmigrant status. Work with an experienced immigration attorney to find out more.
- International students should not plan to meet educational or personal living expenses through employment in the U.S. As an F-1 or J-1 student, you were required to demonstrate sufficient financial resources to cover your expenses at the time you began the Visa process.
Please review this helpful “Guide To Hiring International Students” prepared by NAFSA: Association of International Educators
Practical Training (employment) workshops are required as part of the approval process.
- In-person workshops are held in the ISSS Map Room and begin promptly at 2pm.
- There is no cost to register or attend.
- If you are only interested in OPT, you may arrive at 2:30.
- An online CPT/OPT workshop is available, but in-person workshops are strongly advised.
- A minimum of 4 participants are needed to present the workshop.
- Seasonal H1-B & Green Card workshops are published in the ISSS Newsletter and Facebook.
H1-B & Green Card
|Wednesday, January 13||2:00 pm||2:30 pm||
Offered each Fall and Spring with
University Career Services during:
1. International Education Week
2. International Spring Festival
|Tuesday, January 26||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
|Wednesday, February 10||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
|Thursday, March 3||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
|Wednesday, March 23||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
|Thursday, March 31||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
|Wednesday, April 13||2:00pm||2:30pm|
|Thursday, April 28||2:00pm||2:30pm|
Register for Workshops
- Registration is required since space is limited.
- Log-in to iStart and click “Session Sign-ups” to register for the in-person workshop of your choice.
- No Registration is required for the online workshop; however, you must submit confirmation of understanding upon completion. Click the links below to access the online workshop.
Report Your OPT Employment
- Automatic Termination of Record: after 90 days if no employment is reported during a post-completion OPT or OPT STEM Extension.
- Report via iStart under “F-1 Practical Training” then “OPT & OPT STEM Employment Reporting”.
- Report all employment or changes to employment within 10 days per F1 regulations.
Your OPT Responsibilities
Effective February 2015, all students approved for OPT will be required to read and sign this form before receiving their EAD (OPT) card.
Social Security Number (SSN)
University Career Services (UCS)
UCS is a comprehensive career center on campus that is aware of the unique challenges facing international students.
Mission: to assist students with the identification, preparation, and transition to opportunities that reflect their purpose and passion in the pursuit of success in a global society. Many services are available in person or online, so please visit.
- Location: Student Center West, Room 270, 66 Courtland Street, SE, Atlanta, GA 30303. Tel: 404-413-1820
- Website: click >> here
- Panther Career Net Online Job Search: click >> here
- Goinglobal – database for international careers with 42 country guides (inside Panther Career Net)
- Glassdoor – profiles of jobs, salaries, company reviews in 11 major countries (inside Panther Career Net)