F-1 Employment Authorization & Social Security Number
F-1 International students
You are eligible for on-campus employment and approved off-campus employment, known as “practical training”. Completion of an employment workshop is required for practical training authorization. Please see below.
- Never accept or work off-campus employment without authorization through ISSS in advance.
- TPS (Temporary Protected Status) work authorization could be a violation of nonimmigrant status. Work with an experienced immigration attorney to find out more.
- International students should not plan to meet educational or personal living expenses through employment in the U.S. As an F-1 or J-1 student, you were required to demonstrate sufficient financial resources to cover your expenses at the time you began the Visa process.
Please review this helpful “Guide To Hiring International Students” prepared by NAFSA: Association of International Educators
Practical Training (employment) workshops are required for all international students interested in off-campus practical training authorization. There is no cost to attend.
- In-person workshops are generally held in the ISSS, Map Room and begin promptly at 2pm.
- In-person workshops are strongly advised.
- An online CPT/OPT workshop is provided as an alternative. See below.
- Workshops begin with CPT. You may arrive late if you only need OPT information.
- A minimum of 4 participants are needed to present the workshop. Otherwise, you will be notified in advance if it will be cancelled. Encourage your friends to sign up with you.
- H1-B & Green Card session details are published in the ISSS Newsletter and Facebook page prior to the workshop.
H1-B & Green Card
|Thursday, September 3||2:00 pm||2:30 pm||
Offered each Fall and Spring with
University Career Services during:
1. International Education Week
2. International Spring Festival
|Wednesday, September 16||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
|Thursday, October 1||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
|Thursday, October 29||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
|Wednesday, November 11||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
|Wednesday, December 2||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
Register for Workshops
- Registration is required since space is limited.
- Log-in to iStart and click “Session Sign-ups” to register for the in-person workshop of your choice.
- No Registration is required for the online workshop; however, you must submit confirmation of understanding upon completion. Click the links below to access the online workshop.
University Career Services (UCS)
UCS is a comprehensive career center at Georgia State that is aware of the unique challenges facing international students. Their mission is: to assist students with the identification, preparation, and transition into opportunities that reflect their purpose and passion in the pursuit of success in a global society. Many services are available in person or online, so please visit.
- Location: Student Center West, Room 270, 66 Courtland Street, SE, Atlanta, GA 30303. Tel: 404-413-1820
- Website: click >> here
- Panther Career Net Online Job Search: click >> here
- Goinglobal – jobs and internships database for international careers with 42 country guides (inside Panther Career Net)
- Glassdoor – profiles of jobs, salaries, company reviews and more in 11 major countries (inside Panther Career Net)
Reporting Your OPT Employment
- Automatic Termination of Record: after 90 days if no employment is reported during a post-completion OPT or OPT STEM Extension.
- Report via iStart under “F-1 Practical Training” then “OPT & OPT STEM Employment Reporting”.
- Report all employment or changes to employment within 10 days per F1 regulations.
Your OPT Responsibilities
Effective February 2015, all students approved for OPT will be required to read and sign this form before receiving their EAD (OPT) card.
- On-campus employment
- Off-campus Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
- Off-campus Optional Practical Training (OPT)