Employment Authorization & Social Security Number
F-1 International students
You are eligible for on-campus and certain off-campus opportunities including practical training and need-based work authorization.
- Never accept or engage in off-campus employment without prior governmental authorization through ISSS!
- International students should not plan to meet their educational or personal living expenses through employment wages in the U.S. As an F-1 or J-1 student, you were required to demonstrate sufficient financial resources at the time of application for admission to cover your expenses.
- ISSS requires employment workshops for all students interested in off-campus work authorization. All workshops will be held in the ISSS office. (To register for an in-person Employment Workshop, please go log-in to iStart and click on “Session Sign-ups”. For online employment workshops, please see the appropriate link below.)
|Tuesday, January 20||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
|Wednesday, February 11||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
|Wednesday, March 4||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
|Wednesday, March 25||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
|Monday, April 13||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
|Wednesday, April 22||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
|Tuesday, May 19||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
For more information about F-1 employment authorizations and obtaining a Social Security number please see the following pages:
- On-campus work authorization
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
- Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- Obtaining a Social Security Number
Report OPT Employment
If you are currently on post-completion OPT or the OPT STEM Extension, you are required to report employment and changes in employment within 10 days. Failure to comply with this requirement puts your current and future immigration status at risk. To report employment, please log-in to iStart, click on “F-1 Practical Training”, and click on “OPT & OPT STEM Employment Reporting”.
My OPT Responsibilities
Effective February 2015, all students approved for OPT will be required to read and sign this form before receiving their EAD (OPT) card.