Employment Authorization & Social Security Number

F-1 International students

You are eligible for on-campus employment and certain approved off-campus employment.


Please review this helpful “Guide To Hiring International Students” prepared by NAFSA: Association of International Educators


  • Never accept or work off-campus employment without authorization through ISSS in advance.
  • TPS (Temporary Protected Status) work authorization may be seen as a violation of nonimmigrant status. Advising on TPS should be handled by an experienced immigration attorney.
  • International students should not plan to meet their educational or personal living expenses through employment wages in the U.S.  As an F-1 or J-1 student, you were required to demonstrate sufficient financial resources at the time of application for admission to cover your expenses.

Employment Workshops

Employment workshops are required for all international students interested in off-campus employment authorization. There is no cost for the workshops.

  • All in-person workshops are held in the ISSS, Map Room and begin promptly at 2pm.
  • In-person workshops are strongly advised.
  • An online workshop is provided as a back-up alternative. See below.
  • Workshops begin with CPT. You may arrive late if you only need OPT information.
  • A minimum of 4 participants are needed to present the workshop. Otherwise, you will be notified the morning of the workshop if it will be cancelled. Encourage your friends to sign up with you.

In-person Employment Workshops



Thursday, September 3 2:00 pm 2:30 pm
Wednesday, September 16 2:00 pm 2:30 pm
Thursday, October 1 2:00 pm 2:30 pm
Wednesday, October 14 2:00 pm 2:30 pm
Thursday, October 29 2:00 pm 2:30 pm
Wednesday, November 11 2:00 pm 2:30 pm
Wednesday, December 2 2:00 pm 2:30 pm

Register for In-Person Workshops

  • Registration is required since space is limited.
  • Log-in to iStart and click “Session Sign-ups” to register for the in-person workshop of your choice.
  • No Registration is required for the online workshop; however, you must submit confirmation of understanding upon completion. Click the links below to access the online workshop.

For more information about F-1 employment authorizations and Social Security numbers (SSN), please click the links below:

Report OPT Employment

If you are currently on post-completion OPT or the OPT STEM Extension, you are required to report employment and changes in employment within 10 days. Failure to comply with this requirement puts your current and future immigration status at risk. To report employment, please log-in to iStart, click on “F-1 Practical Training”, and click on “OPT & OPT STEM Employment Reporting”.

My OPT Responsibilities

Effective February 2015, all students approved for OPT will be required to read and sign this form before receiving their EAD (OPT) card.