Transfer to Another School
Please be aware:
- SEVIS records and academic records are two different and unrelated processes.
- Therefore, applying to a new school and being accepted does not transfer your immigration (SEVIS) records.
Steps to Transfer-Out Your SEVIS Record
- Obtain an official letter of acceptance from the new school.
- Log into iStart
- If you are unfamiliar with iStart, see the “Welcome to iStart” webpage and video here.
- In iStart, click on “F1 Student Services”, then the “Departure / Transfer Out″ e-form.
- Complete the information requested and upload any necessary documents as PDF files.
Failure to request a transfer within the grace period will cause you to fall out of status. After losing lawful immigration status, you will have to depart and re-enter the U.S. with a “new initial” I-20 from your new school in order to study in F-1 status at that school.