Tax Information

Non-Resident (NR) Tax Information

Deadline: File 2014 Tax Forms and Returns by April 15th, 2015

The instructions below will help you to file federal and state tax returns or form 8843 for tax year 2014.

Which category are you?

  1. I DID NOT WORK at all in the U.S. and I had NO U.S. scholarship in 2014.
    You have no tax return to file because you had no income or taxable scholarship. However, you must complete the free tax form 8843, which reports your physical presence in the U.S. to the IRS. Specific information on completing this simple form will be sent to your Georgia State email account in February.
  2. I DID NOT WORK, but I DID RECEIVE U.S. scholarship income as shown on a Form 1042S.
    You must file both federal and state tax return forms. See below.
  3. I WORKED in the U.S. in 2014 (through CPT, OPT, or on campus employment).
    • Federal Income Taxes: All international students who worked in the U.S. during 2014 must file a complete federal tax return. You should not purchase software such as TurboTax, or pay an outside service to complete your federal non-resident (NR) tax return. Those products were not designed for non-resident tax forms. Instead, use Glacier Tax Prep (GTP). Free access to GTP is provided by ISSS.
    • State of Georgia Income Taxes: If you file a federal tax return, you may also be entitled to a refund of state income taxes. GTP does not prepare non-resident state income tax forms. Instead, use Sprintax, which charges $24.95.

Glacier Tax Prep (GTP)

  1. Review this 1-page document: Welcome to Glacier Tax Prep [PDF]
  2. Gather Your Documents:
    • Passport
    • I-20 or DS-2019 form
    • Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
    • Dates of all U.S. arrivals and departures in the last year
    • Form(s) W-2: This comes from your employer. Contact your HR department if you haven’t received it.
    • 1042-S and/or 1099 (if applicable): This comes from Georgia State’s tax compliance office if your country has a tax treaty with the U.S.
  3. Access GTP in one of two ways:
    1. If you were employed at Georgia State in 2014 or if you received a Georgia State scholarship, you will access GTP via your GLACIER account. Look for an email to your Georgia State email from Ivan Ivanov, Georgia State University Tax Accountant, with all the details.
    2. If you were employed somewhere outside Georgia State in 2014, use the special access code that is emailed to you in February. DO NOT share the GTP code with other people, or ISSS will no longer be able to provide free access. To go to GTP, click HERE.


  • After completing GTP, you can begin your State of Georgia Income tax Return with Sprintax for $24.95.
  • Print out your federal forms (either 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ) from GTP. You will need that information to complete Sprintax. You cannot do your state tax forms before finishing the federal tax return forms.
  • Sprintax is the only non-resident state tax preparation service available online.
  • Sprintax is easy. You will create a Sprintax account, answer a few questions, download, print and sign you state returns.
  • Mail your signed state return to the address below, and keep a copy for your records:Georgia Department of Revenue Processing Center
    PO Box 740380
    Atlanta GA 30374-0380
  • For help using Sprintax, email: or use the 24/7 instant chat function in Sprintax.
  • Access Sprintax HERE

Please note:

  • Always keep a complete copy of all U.S. tax returns or tax forms like 8843.
  • If you have an unusual or complicated tax situation (ex: you own U.S. real estate, you have investments, stocks, bonds etc… in the U.S.), or if you are a resident for tax purposes (more than 5 years inside the U.S.), ISSS advises you to use a professional tax advisor who is knowledgeable about non-resident alien tax issues.

Helpful Information

The University System of Georgia has provided this helpful information as a Tax FAQ.