Georgia State University is publicly funded with support primarily through taxes from U.S citizens in the state of Georgia. Therefore, resources are limited for international students.
|Please be aware:
Non-Resident Tuition Waivers
For consideration: applications must be complete, and all statements made about a hardship must be well-supported with evidence or documentation of the situation. Examples would include: headlines or articles about monetary fluctuation, catatrophic events, notice of termination from employment, supporting medical letter, etc... Making false statements for the purpose of consideration for a waiver may be a basis for expulsion from GSU.
Georgia State University offers a limited number of need-based, non-resident tuition waivers to international students on all GSU campuses each term. A committee will carefully review each application to ensure the disbursement of these waivers as generously as possible. If this is your 2nd application, please be sure to update all content. As the number of applications may exceed the availability of waivers, we cannot guarantee waivers to everyone who applies. We wish you success in this process, and thank you for applying.
Eligibility and Application Instructions
- Eligibility is indicated in section I of the >> Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Application 07.2020
- All required supporting documentation is indicated in the application itself.
- Review the checklist at the end of the application to help you verify that your materials are ready to submit. You cannot re-submit or edit your application after submission.
- Upload all components of your application as PDF files via >> iStart under the "Tuition Waiver Application" tab for your campus.
- In summer semester, minimum enrollment of 6 credit hours is required to receive the waiver. In Fall and Spring, normal full-time enrollment is required.
What is Covered?
- Only out of state tuition is waived, not student fees or the in-state portion of tuition.
Is this different than a Graduate Assistantship?
- Yes. This waiver is need-based, open to students at all degree levels, and does not require a work commitment. If you have a GRA, you are not eligible for this waiver.
Is this different than the "Campus Atlanta Scholarship"?
- Yes, this waiver is need-based and assists eligible students experiencing financial hardship in their final year. The Campus Atlanta Scholarship is merit-based at the time of undergraduate admission or transfer.
Non-resident Waiver Application Open and Close Dates*
|TIME FRAME||Applications Open||Application Close|
|Fall Semester||April 5th||April 30th, by 5pm|
|Spring Semester||October 5th||October 26th, by 5pm|
|Summer Semester||March 5th||April 2nd, by 5pm|
*If the Non–resident Waiver Application Open or Close Dates fall on a weekend or holiday, the waiver will open or close on the next available business day.
For more information, or if you have questions about this process, please contact:
- Georgia State University - Atlanta Campus: firstname.lastname@example.org / 404-413-2070
- Georgia State University - Perimeter College: email@example.com / 678-891-3235
Graduate Student Resources
Full-time graduate students in F1 or J1 visa status may qualify for a graduate research, teaching, or administrative assistant position, also known as a GRA, GTA, or GAA, commonly referred to as simply “Graduate Assistantships.” This funding generally waives tuition and provides a small stipend in return for work performed in the department. The availability of these positions varies by academic department. For more information, contact the graduate coordinators in your department.
Other Support for Graduate Students
For more information about external funding, internal funding such as: Final Year Fellowships, Dissertation Grant Program, and the Second Century Initiative (2CI), or for assistance with research writing, please visit >> this website <<.
ISSS understands that circumstances beyond your control may arise, so please inform your ISSS advisor if you are having unexpected financial problems. However, ISSS is unable to change or delay payment deadlines established by the University System of Georgia. Please contact Student Financial Services directly to discuss payment options.
- F-1 Work Authorization based on Economic Hardship. For details, please click >> here <<
Remember: all international students submitted financial documentation of their ability to pay all costs in order to obtain the I-20 or DS-2019 from Georgia State University.