V.I.S.A. Leader Program
Volunteer International Student Assistant (V.I.S.A.) Leaders at Georgia State University are a group of students who are trained to be assistants during new international student orientation each semester. Their roles during orientation include:
- Providing a smile and warm welcome to new international students
- Individually leading a four-hour small group session of about fifteen new international students that includes an icebreaker, campus tour, and information session
- Providing information about registration, housing options, banking, campus life, and general information about adjusting to life in the USA, in Atlanta and at GSU
- Assisting with orientation check-in
- Providing help during course registration
- Taking lost/late students to the proper locations on campus
- Helping with the general administration of orientation
- Answering any and all questions and generally being as helpful as possible
Eligibility: You must be a current Georgia State student, in status with Immigration (if non-immigrant), and available for training and orientation dates. Both American and international students are urged to apply.
Payment: V.I.S.A. Leaders in fall term are paid $325 for their work ($275 for spring, $225 for summer), but the biggest benefits are the leadership skills and friendships that you develop. You will also be given 2 shirts to wear during orientation and receive a discount to buy books from the Georgia State University Bookstore.
Training: You will be fully trained with all the information you need to carry out your role at orientation. Training will occur about four weeks before orientation and will be 2-3 days long. The schedule will include training on how to give a campus tour, team building with your fellow V.I.S.A. Leaders, information critical to the new international student experience, and a challenge activity.
Selection: On-line application is available on this website in March (for fall semester) and in October (for spring semester). We will email you if you are selected for an interview. Normally we have many more applicants than available spaces. All applicants will be notified of the decision a few days after interviews cease.
The application for Fall 2020 is now open! To apply:
Please submit your application form by 5pm, Friday, April 10, 2020
Contact: For further information, please contact Amaka Oriala in the International Students and Scholars Services office – 404.413.2070 or email@example.com.