Volunteer International Student Assistant (V.I.S.A.) Leaders at Georgia State are a group of students who are trained to assist ISSS during new international student orientation each semester. Their responsibilities include:
- Welcoming new international students with a smile!
- Leading a small group session of about fifteen new international students that includes an icebreaker, campus tour and information session
- Providing information about registration, housing options, banking, campus life and general information about adjusting to life in the U.S., in Atlanta and at Georgia State
- Answering general orientation and immigration check-in questions
- Providing help during course registration
- Taking lost/late students to the proper locations on campus
- Helping with the general administration of orientation events
- Answering any and all questions and generally being as helpful as possible
V.I.S.A. Leaders will also participate in leadership development training throughout the program. By the end of the participation in the V.I.S.A. Leader Program, participants will:
- Gain an amazing group of friends who are passionate about supporting international students at Georgia State
- Earn a nationally-recognized certificate from NASPA as a Certified Peer Educator
- Go on team-building excursions with the V.I.S.A. Leader Team
- Attend the Georgia International Leadership Conference
Major: Ph.D. in Mathematics
Message to incoming panthers: "If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn.”
Kiran Kumar Reddy Donuru
Major: M.S. in Computer Science
Message to incoming panthers: "The best skill is to keep upskilling."
Major: M.S. in Health Administration.
Message to Incoming Panthers: Embrace your full potential with resilient hope and gratitude. I am rooting for you!!
Mary Koramah Arko
Major: M.S. in Biology
Message to incoming Panthers: Hello Panthers, you are warmly welcomed to the GSU family. I hope you enjoy your stay and enjoy campus life. Do well to have a balanced life on campus and network with a lot of people. Once again, welcome Panthers😊.
Major: Ph.D. in Neuro Physics
Message to incoming panthers: “There is a crack in everything, that’s how the light gets in” , Be well and take care while you fulfill your dreams!
Major: M.S. in Health Administration
Message to incoming panthers: If there is a challenge, there is a solution; Do well to ask questions and always remember that the sky is your starting point. Goodluck with everything panthers! You've got this.
Mario Coakley Jr
Major: B.B.A. in Finance and Real Estate
Message to incoming panthers: Keep your eye on the prize, don’t get distracted.
Major: M.S. in Financial Mathematics
Message to incoming panthers: "Develop a passion for learning. If you do, you will never cease to grow." Goodluck Panthers! You’ve got this.
Major: M.A in Economics
Message to incoming panthers: Prepare your minds for the journey ahead, particularly in a country away from home. If you expose yourself to learning new things and forming new experiences, there is a lot to gain.
Country: Saudi Arabia
Major: B.S. in Respiratory Therapy
Message to incoming panthers: Hello panthers! We're so glad to welcome you to our family. I hope you find a true place of belonging with us. We can't wait to meet you!
Major: B.B.A in Marketing
Message to incoming panthers: Every step you took to get here is indicative to the hard work you've put in. Do not falter and never hesitate to ask for help. You're amazing, welcome panthers.
Eligibility: You must be a current Georgia State student and available for training and orientation dates. Both domestic and international students are encouraged to apply.
Training: You will be fully trained with all the information you need to carry out your role at orientation. Training will occur during the first two weeks of August and will be 2-3 days long. The schedule will include training on how to give a campus tour, team-building with your fellow V.I.S.A. Leaders, information critical to the new international student experience and fun activities.
Selection: The online application for the 2023-2024 VISA Leader Program is now available! Selected candidates will be invited to a group interview. All applicants will be notified of the decision a few days after interviews cease.
Contact [email protected] if you have any questions.
Atlanta Campus Location:
Sparks Hall - Room 252
ISSS, Georgia State University
33 Gilmer St. SE
Atlanta, GA 30303
Atlanta Mailing Address (please use our
physical address above for express mail):
International Student and Scholar Services
Georgia State University
P.O. Box 3987
Atlanta, GA 30302-3987
Perimeter College Location
and Mailing Address:
Building CN 2230 (Student Center)
ISSS, Perimeter College, Clarkston Campus
555 N. Indian Creek Dr.
Clarkson, GA 30021