Employment Authorization

International students on F-1 or J-1 visa are eligible to work under special circumstances with proper authorization. F-1 students are eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT).  J-1 students are eligible for Academic Training.


  • Never accept or work off-campus employment without authorization through ISSS in advance.
  • TPS (Temporary Protected Status) work authorization could be a violation of nonimmigrant status. Work with an experienced immigration attorney to find out more.
  • International students should not plan to meet educational or personal living expenses through employment in the U.S. As an F-1 or J-1 student, you were required to demonstrate sufficient financial resources to cover your expenses at the time you began the Visa process.


Please review this helpful “Guide To Hiring International Students” prepared by NAFSA: Association of International Educators.