F-1 Employment and Cap-Gap
F-1 students are eligible for two categories of work authorization.
Practical Training (employment) workshops are required within one year of applying as part of the approval process.
- Free workshops are held in the ISSS Map Room and begin promptly at 2pm.If you are only interested in OPT, you may arrive at 2:30.
- An online CPT/OPT workshop is available, but in-person workshops are strongly advised.
- A minimum of 4 participants are needed to present the workshop.
- Seasonal H1-B & Green Card workshops are published in the ISSS Newsletter and Facebook.
|Tuesday, January 22||2:00 pm||2:30 pm||
Offered each Fall and Spring with
University Career Services during:
1. International Education Week
2. International Spring Festival
|Thursday, February 7||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
|Tuesday, February 19||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
|Thursday, March 14||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
|Tuesday, March 26||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
|Tuesday, April 11||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
|Thursday, April 23||2:00 pm||2:30 pm|
Register for Workshops
- Free, but registration is required since space is limited.
- Log-in to iStart and click "Session Sign-ups" to register for the in-person workshop of your choice.
- No Registration is required for the online workshop; however, you must submit confirmation of understanding upon completion. Click the links below to access the online workshop.
- Never accept or work off-campus employment without authorization through ISSS in advance.
- All CPT authorizations end on the last day of finals. An internship offer that extends beyond this date requires an additional CPT authorization and corresponding internship course for the next semester.
- TPS (Temporary Protected Status) work authorization could be a violation of nonimmigrant status. Work with an experienced immigration attorney to find out more.
- International students should not plan to meet educational or personal living expenses through employment in the U.S. As an F-1 or J-1 student, you were required to demonstrate sufficient financial resources to cover your expenses at the time you began the Visa process.