F-1 Employment and Cap-Gap
F-1 students are eligible for two categories of work authorization.
Practical Training (employment) workshops are required within one year of applying as part of the approval process.
- Live, virtual workshops are presented monthly by an international student advisor.
- A minimum of 10 participants are needed to present the workshop.
- Seasonal H1-B & Green Card workshops are published in the ISSS Newsletter, Facebook, and Instagram.
|Tuesday, September 22||2:00 pm||3:00 pm||
Offered each Fall and Spring in collaboration with University Career Services:
1. International Education Week
2. International Spring Festival
*Check the monthly newsletter and social media accounts for exact dates when available.
|Thursday, October 8||2:00 pm||3:00 pm|
|Tuesday, October 20||2:00 pm||3:00 pm|
|Thursday, November 5||2:00 pm||3:00 pm|
|Tuesday, November 17||2:00 pm||3:00 pm|
|Thursday, December 3||2:00 pm||3:00 pm|
Register for Live Workshops
- Live, virtual workshops are free, but registration is required. Attendance is taken.
- Log-in to iStart and click "Session Sign-ups" to register for the in-person workshop of your choice.
- A link to the live, virtual workshop will be sent to registered students' GSU email account 24 hours prior to the event.
- You must register by 4 pm the day before the workshop. If you cannot register by 4 pm the day prior, you should register for the next available session.
- Never accept or work off-campus employment without authorization through ISSS in advance.
- All CPT authorizations end on the last day of finals. An internship offer that extends beyond this date requires an additional CPT authorization and corresponding internship course for the next semester.
- TPS (Temporary Protected Status) work authorization could be a violation of nonimmigrant status. Work with an experienced immigration attorney to find out more.
- International students should not plan to meet educational or personal living expenses through employment in the U.S. As an F-1 or J-1 student, you were required to demonstrate sufficient financial resources to cover your expenses at the time you began the Visa process.