F-1 Extension of Status
It is your responsibility to be familiar with all the information on your I-20, including its expiration date. If you will not complete your degree program before the current expiration date on your I-20, you must:
- Request an I-20 extension 1 month BEFORE it expires.
- Review the Extension of Program Policyfor more details before applying for an extension.
- AFTER your I-20 expires, you can no longer request an extension.
- No Guarantee: Submitting the I-20 Extension request does not guarantee approval of the request. There must be compelling academic or medical reasons in order to be eligible for an extension.
- An ISSS advisor will review your request within 3-5 business days and notify you by email of a decision or follow up information needed, if required.
- If you are not eligible for an extension, an advisor in ISSS will discuss your options.