An ISSS staff member meets with an international in the office

Immigration Advising

In order to lawfully enter the U.S. to study full-time at Georgia State, you need to obtain an I-20 or DS-2019 from Georgia State and then apply for an F-1 or J-1 visa.  Students already within the United States are eligible to transfer their immigration record to Georgia State University through SEVIS. The International Student and Scholar Services office may also support students wishing to change status to F-1.

International students in F-1 or J-1 visa status have several important responsibilities and benefits related to their immigration status described in the links to the left. If you have questions about any of this information, please come by ISSS during advising hours to speak with an advisor.

Per immigration regulations CFR § 1101(a)(15):

“An alien having a residence in a foreign country which he has no intention of abandoning, who is a bona fide student qualified to pursue a full course of study and who seeks to enter the United States temporarily and solely for the purpose of pursuing such a course of study…”

"An alien having a residence in a foreign country which he has no intention of abandoning who is a bona fide student, scholar, trainee, teacher, professor, research assistant, specialist, or leader in a field of specialized knowledge or skill, or other person of similar description, who is coming temporarily to the United States as a participant in a program designated by the Director of the United States Information Agency, for the purpose of teaching, instructing or lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, or receiving training and who, if he is coming to the United States to participate in a program under which he will receive graduate medical education or training, also meets the requirements of section 1182(j) of this title, and the alien spouse and minor children of any such alien if accompanying him or following to join him."