Extending Your I-20 or DS-2019
F-1 and J-1 students are not in lawful status if their I-20 or DS-2019 expires.
It is your responsibility to be familiar with the information on your I-20 at all times, including its expiration date. If you will not complete your degree program before the current expiration date on your I-20 or DS-2019, you must:
- Request an I-20 or DS-2019 extension 1 month BEFORE it expires.
- Review the Extension of Program Policy for more details before applying for an extension.
- AFTER your I-20 or DS-2019 expires, you can no longer request an extension. F-1 students are eligible to apply for Reinstatement.
How to apply for an Extension
- Log into iStart
- If you are unfamiliar with iStart, see the “Welcome to iStart” webpage and video here.
- In iStart,
- F-1 Students: click on “F1 Student Services”, then “Extension of I-20” e-form
- J-1 Students: click on “J1 Student Services”, then “Extension of DS-2019” e-form
- Complete the information requested and upload your updated financial support documentation as PDF files.
- Financial Documentation: If you are receiving a tuition waiver, scholarship, stipend or other financial support from GSU, provide an updated letter of financial support from your academic department through iStart as indicated above, along with updated bank statements.
- Annual Increases: Tuition and fees are subject to annual increases. Be sure you review the estimated costs of attendance to confirm how much financial support you should document.
- No Guarantee: Submitting the I-20 Extension request does not guarantee approval of the request. There must be compelling academic or medical reasons in order to be eligible for an extension.
- An ISSS advisor will review your request within 3-5 business days and notify you by email of a decision or follow up information needed, if required.
- If you are not eligible for an extension you will unfortunately not be able to continue your F-1 status at Georgia State University. If that is the case, an advisor in ISSS will meet with you to discuss your options.