Transfer to Another School
IMPORTANT: J-1 students wishing to transfer to another US institution should speak with an international student advisor.
To transfer to another school in “active” F-1 status, request that ISSS at Georgia State University (the transfer-out school) transfer your SEVIS record to the new school (the transfer-in school). Your new school can only access your SEVIS record or issue you a their new transfer I-20 after the record has been transferred through SEVIS.
Please be aware:
- Your immigration record and academic record are different and unrelated sets of information.
- Therefore, acceptance and academic transfer to a new school does not automatically transfer your immigration (SEVIS) records.
Steps to Transfer-Out Your SEVIS Record
- Obtain an official letter of acceptance from the new school.
- Log into iStart
- If you are unfamiliar with iStart, see the “Welcome to iStart” webpage and video here.
- In iStart, click on “F1 Student Services”, then the “Departure / Transfer Out″ e-form.
- Complete the information requested and upload any necessary documents as PDF files.
- After completion of studies, a transfer is only possible within the grace period (60 days for F1 students).
- Transferring after the start of a semester at GSU must occur during the 1st 30 days of the semester.
- After losing lawful immigration status, you will have to depart and re-enter the U.S. with a “new initial” I-20 from your new school in order to study in F-1 status at that school.
- Transferring a terminated record will require reinstatement by the new school. This process is expensive and can take several months.