Transfer to Another School

IMPORTANT: J-1 students wishing to transfer to another US institution should speak with an international student advisor.

To transfer to another school in “active” F-1 status, request that ISSS at Georgia State University (the transfer-out school) transfer your SEVIS record to the new school (the transfer-in school). Your new school can only access your SEVIS record or issue you a their new transfer I-20 after the record has been transferred through SEVIS.

Please be aware:

  • Your immigration record and academic record are different and unrelated sets of information.
  • Therefore, acceptance and academic transfer to a new school does not automatically transfer your immigration (SEVIS) records.

Steps to Transfer-Out Your SEVIS Record

  • Obtain an official letter of acceptance from the new school.
  • Log into iStart
  • If you are unfamiliar with iStart, see the “Welcome to iStart” webpage and video here.
  • In iStart, click on “F1 Student Services”, then the “Departure / Transfer Out″ e-form.
  • Complete the information requested and upload any necessary documents as PDF files.


  • After completion of studies, a transfer is only possible within the grace period (60 days for F1 students).
  • Transferring after the start of a semester at GSU must occur during the 1st 30 days of the semester.
  • After losing lawful immigration status, you will have to depart and re-enter the U.S. with a “new initial”  I-20 from your new school in order to study in F-1 status at that school.
  • Transferring a terminated record will require reinstatement by the new school. This process is expensive and can take several months.