It is your responsibility to be familiar with the information on your DS-2019 at all times, including its expiration date. If you will not complete your degree program before the current expiration date on your DS-2019, you must:
- Request a DS-2019 extension 1 month BEFORE it expires.
- Review the Extension of Program Policyfor more details before applying for an extension.
- AFTER your DS-2019 expires, you can no longer request an extension.
- Log into iStart
- If you are unfamiliar with iStart, see the “Welcome to iStart” webpage and video
- In iStart: click on “J1 Student Services”, then “Extension of DS-2019” e-form.
- For J1 visa holders – Financial Documentation:If you are receiving a tuition waiver, scholarship, stipend or other financial support from GSU, provide an updated letter of financial support from your academic department through iStart as indicated above, along with updated bank statements. Tuition and fees are subject to annual increases. Be sure you review the estimated costs of attendance to confirm how much financial support you should document.
- No Guarantee: Submitting the DS-2019 Extension request does not guarantee approval of the request. There must be compelling academic or medical reasons in order to be eligible for an extension.
- An ISSS advisor will review your request within 3-5 business days and notify you by email of a decision or follow up information needed, if required.
- If you are not eligible for an extension an advisor in ISSS will discuss your options.