On-campus employment is limited to 20 hours per week (including assistantships) during the school year. Full-time employment is permitted during summer and vacation periods.
All J-1 student employment, including graduate assistantships and non-graduate assistantships (student assistants), must obtain employment authorization from ISSS BEFORE on-campus begins. J-1 students must submit the On-Campus Employment Authorization eform via iStart.
An original employment letter on official letterhead will be uploaded into the e-form. The employment letter must contain all of the following information:
- Employer Name
- Employer Address
- Number of work hours per week
- Beginning and end dates of employment
- Type of employment (assistantship, fellowship or other on-campus)
- Signature of supervisor
Please Note: On-campus authorizations have a maximum duration of 12 months. If the on-campus employment extends beyond 12 months, the J-1 student must submit the On-Campus Employment Authorization e-form again and upload an updated employment letter BEFORE the current authorization expires.
Regulatory Reference: 22. C.F.R. § 62.23 (f)
J-1 Academic Training (AT) is off-campus employment directly related to a student's field of study. Appropriate activities may vary over disciplines. AT can involve sequential or simultaneous activities, either paid or unpaid, with multiple employers, provided the application approval procedures are followed for each employer and the time limits are not exceeded.
Please Note: Never work or accept off-campus employment without authorization from ISSS in advance. Employment without authorization is a violation of J-1 visa status.
- The student is in good academic standing.
- The student is primarily in the United States (U.S.) to study rather than engage in AT.
- The student is participating in AT that is directly related to his or her major field of study as indicated on his or her Form DS-2019.
- The student receives written approval in advance from ISSS
- AT can only be authorized by the J-1 program sponsor (Georgia State, Department of State, Fulbright, USAID, etc.).
Duration of Academic Training
Time limits are cumulative, so any AT used prior to completion of the study will be deducted from the remaining allowable time available after completion of a degree.
Non-Degree seeking students
If you are offered an established Post-Doctoral position you may be authorized for additional 18-months, for a total of 36 months of post-doctoral training, which is the maximum amount.
- Graduate students who have completed all coursework for the degree and plan to conduct AT that will assist them in the development of their thesis/dissertation
- Undergraduate students who conduct internships that are required of their program or for which they will receive credit
Students must submit the completed Academic Training Request eform at least two (2) weeks prior to their program end date or their current authorization end date.
- Job title
- Name of supervisor
- Location of employment
- Proposed start and end dates of employment
- Number of hours per week
Please Note: Salary must be included on this letter if employment occurs post-degree/program completion. If the employment is unpaid, then you will also need to submit financial documents showing that you or your sponsor can cover the cost of living expenses for the required DS-2019 extension.
How to Request Academic Training
- Log into iStart
- From the iStart homepage: click on J-1 Student Services submit the Academic Training Request e-form.
- After submission, an ISSS advisor will review your e-form submission within 3-5 business days and notify you via email of a decision or follow-up for more information.
In this eform, you will provide the name and email of your Academic Advisor (J-1 degree-seeing student) or Program Coordinator (J-1 non-degree seeking student).
Your request will go to that person via email for secondary approval. ISSS cannot approve your Academic Training Request e-form until your secondary approver replies to the request, so make sure they are aware of this process before you submit the e-form.
- Log into iStart
- From the iStart homepage: click on J-1 Student Services submit the Academic Training Evaluation e-form.
- After submission, an ISSS advisor will review your e-form submission within 3-5 business days and follow-up for more information if necessary.