Valid Travel Signature Requirement
International students must have a valid travel signature on the Form DS-2019 upon re-entry to the United States. Immigration forms may only be signed by an approved Designated School Official (DSO) or Responsible Officer (RO) in ISSS. Academic advisors and faculty members may not sign immigration documents.
How Long is a Travel Signature Valid?
Where is the Travel Signature?
How to Request a Travel Signature
- Log into iStart
- From the iStart homepage: click on J-1 Student Services and submit the Travel Signature Request (DS-2019) e-form.
- After submission, an ISSS advisor will review your e-form submission within 3-5 business.
- Upon approval, you will be instructed to bring your current DS-2019 to ISSS for immediate signature at the front desk.
- Know Your Rights at the Port of Entry: The American Civil Liberties Union publishes a helpful pamphlet called “Know Your Rights,” which contains information about your rights in case you come into contact with law enforcement at the airport or other ports of entry to the U.S. We encourage you to review this information, especially before international travel into the U.S. It contains useful questions and answers, and a list of other resources and referral contacts should you ever need them.
- Grace Period: If you are in a post-completion grace period, and you depart the U.S for any reason, such as a cruise, the grace period automatically ends. You cannot re-enter the U.S.
- 5 Month Rule: For students who are continuing their program by conducting research outside of the U.S., please note that you must obtain documentation from your department prior to departing the country that explains your stay outside the U.S for this time period. You are required to visit the ISSS office before you depart.
- Forgot your Immigration Form: If you arrive back in the U.S. without your DS-2019, you will not be allowed immediate entry. You will go to secondary inspection (a waiting area for further questioning that can take several hours), or possibly be refused entry to the U.S.
- Questions or Concerns: Please contact your international advisor if you have questions or concerns before traveling.
Transferring Your SEVIS Record to Another School
J-1 degree-seeking students who wish to transfer from Georgia State University to another program sponsor must consult with the International Student Office at both schools. The deadline for J-1 degree-seeking students to transfer is the program completion date or the end of Academic Training, whichever is earlier.
Please Note: J-1 degree-seeking students cannot transfer during the 30 day grace period.
Atlanta Campus Location:
Sparks Hall - Room 252
ISSS, Georgia State University
33 Gilmer St. SE
Atlanta, GA 30303
Atlanta Mailing Address (please use our
physical address above for express mail):
International Student and Scholar Services
Georgia State University
P.O. Box 3987
Atlanta, GA 30302-3987
Perimeter College Location
and Mailing Address:
Building CN 2230 (Student Center)
ISSS, Perimeter College, Clarkston Campus
555 N. Indian Creek Dr.
Clarkson, GA 30021