Placement tests for Math and English, if required, are part of International Orientation events.
- What: GSTEP (Georgia State Test of English Proficiency) is required for many graduate students by their academic departments even if the student has already been academically accepted.
- Purpose: to evaluate the English proficiency of current or prospective GSU students.
- When: Testing occurs during International Student Orientation.
- Website: Georgia State Test of English Proficiency .
- ISSS has no control over this test policy, your test outcomes, or further ESL requirements.
Who Administers GSTEP?
- GSTEP is administered by the Department of Applied Linguistics and English as a Second Language at GSU.
How do I know if I have to take GSTEP?
- New international graduate students should contact their academic department to find out if the Orientation GSTEP is required.
- What: (Optional) Math Skills Placement Exam
- Purpose: This exam provides a way for New Freshman and Transfer undergraduate students to skip introductory Mathematics courses if they wish to enroll into higher level math courses for which this test qualifies them.
- When: Provided as part of International Student Orientation. Please review the Orientation Schedule for the specific date and time.
- Website: For more information: see the Counseling and Testing Center website
- Reminder: Undergraduate students SHOULD NOT REGISTER FOR NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION (INCEPT), which is a new student orientation program for U.S. domestic students that required payment.