After you receive your I-20 or DS-2019 from Georgia State, it is time to apply for your visa. Your F-1 or J-1 visa will allow you to enter the United States to begin your studies. You will use your I-20 or DS-2019 from Georgia State to apply for or renew your view, following these steps:
- Pay your SEVIS I-901 Fee. You will need your SEVIS ID to make this payment, which is located on your I-20 or DS-2019.
- Complete the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160, and print the application form confirmation page to bring to your interview.
- Make a visa appointment at the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy using your I-20 or DS-2019 and your I-901 fee payment receipt.
- Your visa will not be issued until 120 days before the start date on your I-20 or DS-2019. You may attend a visa appointment before the visa issuance date, but keep in mind that you will need to wait for your visa to be issued.
- Obtain your visa and make your travel plans before classes begin at Georgia State. Do not purchase your airplane ticket before you receive your visa.
For more information about applying for a student visa, please visit Travel.State.Gov.
Please review the VISA Information Brochure. We advise you to pay special attention to the section near the end regarding "evidence of ties to home country."
The video below gives more information about the SEVIS I-901 Fee and the visa appointment.
Atlanta Campus Location:
Sparks Hall - Room 252
ISSS, Georgia State University
33 Gilmer St. SE
Atlanta, GA 30303
Atlanta Mailing Address (please use our
physical address above for express mail):
International Student and Scholar Services
Georgia State University
P.O. Box 3987
Atlanta, GA 30302-3987
Perimeter College Location
and Mailing Address:
Building CN 2230 (Student Center)
ISSS, Perimeter College, Clarkston Campus
555 N. Indian Creek Dr.
Clarkson, GA 30021