New F-1 students and J-1 Exchange Visitors can enter the U.S. up to 30 days before the program start date listed on the I-20 or DS-2019 form.
Do not check the following documents in your baggage. Always hand-carry these items. (If your baggage is lost or delayed, you will be unable to present the documents at your port of entry and you may not be able to enter the United States):
- your passport (valid for at least six months beyond the date of your expected stay)
- your Form I-20 or DS-2019.
- ISSS recommends carrying the following also:
- evidence of financial resources
- acceptance letter from Georgia State
- paper receipt for the SEVIS fee, Form I-797
- name and contact information for your Georgia State “Designated School Official” as listed on your I-20 or “Alternate Responsible Officer” as listed on your DS-2019 (Use Contact Information for your campus below!)
If you experience problems at the port of entry outside of regular business hours, please contact the Georgia State Police at 404-413-2100. For comprehensive information on procedures for traveling and arriving in the United States, visit educationUSA.
If Arriving By Air: Flight attendants will distribute Customs Declaration Forms (CF-6059). These must be completed prior to landing.
If Arriving By Land or Sea: The CBP Officer at the port of entry will provide the necessary Customs Declaration Forms (CF-6059) to be filled out upon your arrival. Be sure to write your name clearly and exactly as it appears in your passport!
Proceed to the terminal area for arriving passengers. Have the following documents available for presentation:
- your passport
- SEVIS Form (I-20 or DS-2019)
- Customs Declaration Form (CF-6059). The Form should reflect the address where you will live, not a Georgia State address.
All visitors entering the United States must state their reason for wishing to enter the country. You will also be asked to provide information about your final destination. It is important that you tell the CBP Officer that you will be a student. Be prepared to include the name and address of the school program where you will enroll/participate. Once your inspection is successfully completed, the inspecting officer will stamp your SEVIS Form for the duration of status (“D/S”).
Atlanta Campus Location:
Sparks Hall - Room 252
ISSS, Georgia State University
33 Gilmer St. SE
Atlanta, GA 30303
Atlanta Mailing Address (please use our
physical address above for express mail):
International Student and Scholar Services
Georgia State University
P.O. Box 3987
Atlanta, GA 30302-3987
Perimeter College Location
and Mailing Address:
Building CN 2230 (Student Center)
ISSS, Perimeter College, Clarkston Campus
555 N. Indian Creek Dr.
Clarkson, GA 30021