Placement tests for Math and English, if required, are part of International Orientation events.
- What: Georgia State Test of English Proficiency (GSTEP) is required for many graduate students by their academic departments even if the student has already been academically accepted.
- Purpose: To evaluate the English proficiency of current or prospective Georgia State students.
- When: Testing occurs during International Student Orientation.
- Website: Georgia State Test of English Proficiency.
- ISSS has no control over this testing policy, your test outcomes or further ESL requirements.
Who Administers GSTEP?
- GSTEP is administered by the Department of Applied Linguistics and English as a Second Language at Georgia State.
How do I know if I have to take GSTEP?
- New international graduate students should contact their academic department to find out if the Orientation GSTEP is required.
- What: (Optional) Math Skills Placement Exam
- Purpose: This exam provides a way for New Freshman and Transfer undergraduate students to skip introductory Mathematics courses if they wish to enroll in higher-level math courses for which this test qualifies them.
- When: Provided as part of International Student Orientation. Please review the Orientation Schedule for the specific date and time.
- Website: For more information, see the Testing Center website
- Reminder: Undergraduate students should not register for new student orientation (incept), which is a new student orientation program for U.S. domestic students that required payment.