Travel Procedures

Obtain a Travel Validation Signature

In order to obtain a travel validation signature, please follow the instructions HERE to access J-1 Scholar Limited Services.  The request for Travel Validation will be available under the J-1 Scholars Tab.

While Traveling

J-1 scholars traveling within the United States should carry their original immigration documents with them.

J-1 scholars traveling outside the United States must have all necessary documents for entry into all countries they intend to visit, and for re-entry into the United States. For re-entry into the United States, the exchange visitor needs:

  • a valid passport
  • a valid J-1 visa
  • a valid Form DS-2019 with a recent travel validation signature (no older than 6 months) from your Georgia State University J-1 advisor
  • proof of financial support as indicated on the Form DS-2019

If you are a J-1 scholar who is sponsored by an agency other Georgia State University (for example, Fulbright), a Responsible Officer/advisor from your  sponsoring agency must sign your Form DS-2019.

Some exchange visitors traveling to Canada, Mexico, or an adjacent island for fewer than 30 days may be eligible for automatic revalidation of their expired J-1 visas; contact the J-1 Scholar Advisor for more details.

“Know Your Rights” at the U.S. Port of Entry

  • This document published by the American Civil Liberties Union, contains information about your rights in case you come into contact with law enforcement at the airport or other ports of entry into the U.S. ISSS encourages you to review this information, especially before international travel into the U.S. It contains useful questions and answers, and a list of other resources and referral contacts should you ever need them.